If you live in a place where there is no municipal sewer system, you are certainly at the mercy of a septic system to treat waste every day. Though hidden underground, a septic system performs the essential function of treating waste from your home and thus prevents backup issues. Therefore, you must pay attention to what materials you are putting down the drain. Also, proper septic tank maintenance is imperative to keeping your septic tank up and running always. For more information regarding successful septic tank maintenance, read our guide below.
What is Septic System?
A septic system comprises a septic tank and a drain field. The septic tank located underground consists of millions of living microorganisms that break down the waste in the tank. Solid waste is settled at the bottom whereas oil, fat and grease form a scum layer above. The treated wastewater exits the tank where it passes on to the drain field.
The drain field, also called the leach field, is a subsurface region where wastewater is disposed of. It is a critical part of the septic system as the accumulation of solids can cause a backup.
Common Septic Tank Problems
Common septic tank problems include a build-up of sludge, a blocked septic tank, slow flushing and poor wastewater drainage. These are commonly known signs which tell that your septic tank is malfunctioning. Moreover, constant bad odour and regular backup issues are prominent telltale signs that your septic tank system needs urgent treatment. To prevent septic tank problems, you must undertake routine septic tank maintenance.
There are some Dos and Don’ts which you must strictly follow to avoid septic tank problems. Additionally, it will help in maintenance.
- Do inspection of your septic system regularly for proper upkeep and look for any signs that show system malfunction.
- Do monitor the discharge of water through the bathroom and toilet. An extensive amount of water can disturb the balance of beneficial microorganisms present in the septic system. This can affect the decomposition process leading to waste accumulation and system failure.
- Do use efficient household features such as washing machine, hot tub and toilet that prevents excessive use of water. It prevents septic system overload and reduces the risk of failure.
- Do not put non-biodegradable materials into the toilet. It also includes coffee grounds, diapers, toiletries etc. These items do not decompose easily and affect the performance of the system.
- Do not drain fats, oil and grease along with waste as it can lead to blocks along the drainpipes.
- Do not use chemical cleaners or toxic substances in the bathroom as it can destroy the beneficial microbes available in the septic system. This is the reason why you should avoid chemical products to clear blockages and clean septic tanks as well.
Why natural and effective septic tank maintenance solutions are important?
The growing use of a septic tank system in urban and rural areas in India shows that there is an urgent need for effective septic tank maintenance solutions. Given how expensive it is to replace a septic tank system, the focus should be given to cost-effective methods. Also, the traditional form of mechanical pumping is not affordable either. The use of chemical products to treat septic tank waste should be avoided as it can cause major harm to the environment. Thus, a natural and effective solution like the use of microbes in sludge degradation can go a long way in boosting septic tank performance and maintenance.
How do microbes help in septic tank maintenance?
Microbes play a vital role in sludge degradation in the septic tank system. The bacteria in the sludge present at the bottom of the tank breaks down the sludge using anaerobic digestion. The solid waste is converted into gases like methane, hydrogen sulphide and sulfur dioxide. The resulting sludge decomposes further when exposed to oxygen.
However, due to various factors like the use of chemicals and toxic products the microbes are unable to perform their function in a septic tank system. This is where natural biological additives are used to enhance the performance of microbes present in septic tanks. It helps in the breakdown of waste and boosts the performance of the septic system without harming the environment.
Organica Biotech is one of the pioneers in providing sustainable and powerful septic tank solutions. The product Bioclean Septic consists of natural microbes with a special formulation of enzymes for natural and effective septic tank treatment. It aggressively acts on waste and degrades it, thus minimizing sludge buildup and preventing septic tank issues like odour, overflow and other failures. It also suppresses the propagation of disease-causing pathogens.
Bioclean Septic Plus is another effective septic tank treatment product that ably degrades faecal matter and food waste. It is effective against fats, oil and grease. Additionally, it is a cost-effective and easy to use solution and negates the need for mechanical pumping. Use Bioclean Septic and Bioclean Septic Plus for successful septic tank maintenance.
Also read: Cleaning Septic Tanks Without Loss Of Life